Monday, March 5, 2012

Tutorial: Blue Butterflies

Monday, March 5, 2012
I received an email from a family friend last week with an interesting story:

After the tornado, I was following the Humane Society adopt-a-thon on Facebook.  There was a senior dog with health issues that kept getting passed by.  The Humane Society posted his picture and a large group of people were following the picture to see if someone would adopt him.  Finally, a woman named Wendy posted "I'm on my way".  Everyone went insane and was so excited.  The Executive Director of the Humane Society met Wendy at the gate and Wendy and her husband Rick adopted Max.  They in turn set up a Facebook page called Max's Miracles Page and a core group of people followed Max and donated to his care and upkeep.  Unfortunately, Max passed away in August.  A group of seven women that followed Max, Wendy and Rick got together and gave Wendy and Rick gifts from ashes I was able to get from Max's Vet.  We called ourselves Max's Aunties.  Shortly after Max passed, Wendy and Rick had an even more horrible tragedy ... Wendy's 23 year old son died in his sleep.  The group of aunties supported Wendy and Rick and have been there for them trying to help them through this horrible period.

The Aunties are from all over:  Pennsylvania, Illinois, Kansas City, North Carolina, Louisiana and three from Joplin.  Most of us have not met.  Next Sunday, this group will all be together for the first time here at my house.


I just thought this was so touching I just HAD to make cookies for her.





 I decided to make my interpretation of the rainbow bridge to Heaven.  And the butterflies?  They said they saw lots of blue butterflies that day.  And I'm a sucker for a good butterfly cookie....






These little butterflies were so much fun to make, and surprisingly easier than I thought they would be.  So I decided to make another VIDEO




This is a fun one because it uses two of my favorite and surprisingly rarely used techniques that I think get overlooked.  Airbrushing and hand painting.  I love it.  I got my airbrush at Karen's Cookies and I've been pretty hooked.  Now I'm not the best hand painter in the world, but I think it's serious fun. ( It reminds me of when I was a girl and I would paint Sadie Hawkins signs, or when I would marker cute notes for my friends between classes.  And who can forget scribbling the name of your crush on the back of your notebook with acrylics...  ok maybe not everyone used acrylics to scribble.  Just me.  )






Back to a serious note.  These cookies were meant to represent loss and healing, which seems appropriate this weekend as a dear family friend just passed from a brain tumor.  So while this post was meant initially for Wendy, Rick and Max, I feel it's only appropriate to dedicate this tutorial to our dear friend and his family who are grieving.



Unable are the loved to die.  For love is immortality.  ~Emily Dickinson
  


18 comments:

The BearFoot Baker said...

Ali, what touching stories. Your cookies are so beautiful because you have such a beautiful heart!

Thanks for an amazing video tutorial on hand painting and airbrushing! You are so inspiring!!

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful and for such a great cause. I love it and your amazing!!

~Bekah said...

what beautiful cookies for an even beautiful message of love and remembrance! I found your blog from SugarBelle's

Anne said...

Beautiful - post and butterfly cookies.

Amalia said...

Ali.
I can not begin to put into words how beautiful this post was. The cookies are of course breathtaking but your words are so touching. My heart goes out to all those that you mentioned who lost loved ones. A friend of my sister's just lost her battle with cancer today. She is survived by her loving husband and young son. Your final quote rang so true to their situation.

Alison said...

Amalia I am so sorry to hear about your sister's friend. :(

Alison said...

thanks everyone for the lovely comments :)

Paula said...

I know the Aunties will be so very touched by your gift of these beautiful cookies.

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your good friend and I was sorry to read that Wendy & Rick lost their son to unexpectedly.

Anonymous said...

they are amazing! my condolances to the families suffering loss, my uncle also passed away only last month from a brain tumor so a blue butterfly of hope and love is extra special xxBrenda

Bea @ CancunCOOKIES said...

A sad story, Ali...
Love your butterflies! They are PERFECT...

Unknown said...

What a touching story and a beautiful beautiful cookies.I love butterflies.

Нели said...

Изключително нежни и сияйни!Красота!

Sue said...

The touching stories coupled with your beautiful cookies has brought me to tears.

ccSweets said...

You are a blessing to these families.

Janet said...

What a gift you are to all that know you. xo

elle said...

Beautiful butterfly cookies. love them. How can i contact you Alison?

Galletita Dulce said...

Hi Ali, these butterflies are simply stunning! I know the "aunties" loved them. Question, how well an airbrushed cookie will hold up in packaging? I use cello bags for mine.

Alison said...

Galletita -
I use Cello Bags for my packaging and storing too. As far as I know, given adequate drying time, they hold up in cello bags just fine. :) Just make sure the airbrushing is completely dry and not tacky.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios