Thursday, May 3, 2012

WFD? Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Thursday, May 3, 2012
Hooked on the ice cream maker.  :)

That, and the local store was having a fabulous deal on strawberries....



I wanted to make a strawberry rhubarb ice cream that I saw on cooking light but when i went back to the other store they didnt have rhubarb.  You see that's what I have to do around here.  I have to hit 2 different grocery stores to get most of my shopping done....because one has better looking produce and the other one has all the usual food staples.

Anyway, I didn't want to make straight up strawberry.  It's Sophie's favorite but straight strawberry sounded so boring.  And I was feeling....AMBITIOUS (I know, that like almost never happens)




So I figured I would tackle that custard style ice cream and see what kind of twist I could put on it...

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
8 ounces block cream cheese, softened
3 large egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup diced strawberries

Combine 1 cup sugar, cream cheese, and egg yolks in a mixing bowl.  Cream together till smooth.

In a medium sauce pan combine the milk, cream and salt.  Heat over medium low heat till it just comes to a boil.  Remove from heat immediately.  Gradually add half of the milk mixture to the cream cheese mixture stirring with the mixer on low.  add the cream cheese mixture to the remaining milk in the pot.  Return the saucepan to the heat.  Over medium low, bring the mixture to about 160.  It should be slightly thickened and coat the back of the spoon.  Do not let boil or it will cook the eggs.  Pour the mixture into a seperate freezer safe container.  Stir in the vanilla.  Let cool completely at room temperature.  Refrigerate for 1 hour minimum to overnight.

In a ziplock bag, combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar.  Let sit in the fridge for 1 hour to overnight. 

Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the cream mixture in.  Pour the strawberries in.  Let churn for 20 minutes.  Remove from ice cream bowl and pour into a seperate freezer safe container.  Let freeze for a few hours till firm. 


Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Nisha said...

I don't know if rhubarb makes a difference in ice cream, never tried, but this looks so good. Guess cream cheese makes anything taste better! Along with the little strawberry chunks!

Paula said...

What fun you are having with that ice cream maker and what fun your family must be having. This ice cream looks delicious and I love your serving dish.

Susie said...

I love my ice cream maker too...anxious to get the kids home from college so I have someone to share it with! Coffee with chocolate chunks....YUM!

Unknown said...

Not sure which is prettier, the ice cream or the dish! Lovely!

Alison said...

thanks! I love strawberry season. And I love my milk glass. My grandma handed it down to me. it's precious :)

Anonymous said...

What a perfect Mother's Day treat! I may have to dust off the old ice cream maker and give this a try - it sounds heavenly! Maryann

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios