Thursday, April 19, 2012

WFD? Peppermint Patty Ice Cream

Thursday, April 19, 2012
 So my MIL bought my hubs and I an ice cream maker forever ago. They have one and they love it.  Well needless to say it's me right?  So it's been sitting in a box for months....

Well the weather is getting warmer, and ice cream is beginning to sound good.  And I'm still waiting on my favorite frozen custard place to come out with their wedding cake concrete.

Not until June, just in case you're wondering.  (I know you were)

So I figured I would break out the ice cream maker and make something...




First I opened the box.... did you know the ice cream bowls have to be frozen before you can make anything?  And it takes like a whole day?  Ugh....so much for immediate gratification...

see me in the spooooooon?

I then consulted a cookbook.  Looked up the standard custard style ice cream.... custard style ice cream is a lot of work...  I mean there's egg yolks and boiling milk and ice baths involved.....
No, I want my ice cream now.  I've been waiting all year.  I have just unwrapped a new culinary toy.  I want ICE CREAM NOW!!

So I made this:


Peppermint Patty Ice Cream

1 cup milk
1 tsp peppermint extract (the good stuff)
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup York peppermint patty pieces (or chopped peppermint patties)

Combine milk, sugar and salt together in a bowl.  Whisk until sugar is dissolved.  Add cream, mint extract, and vanilla extract.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Remove from fridge and pour into ice cream maker.  Turn on and mix for 20 minutes.  In the last 5 minutes add the peppermint patty pieces.  Pour the ice cream into a separate container and freeze for several hours, till firm.  I freeze it over night.  :)

See now wasn't that simple?  Still time consuming but not as bad as the custard kind....  Anyway, nothing fancy, but perfect for the warm months.  :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

your ice cream looks and sounds soo delicious!! It reminds me of my brothers dad he always made homemade ice cream!

Elizabeth said...

I love mint ice cream, and this looks so yummy!

Sandie said...

A fantastic ice cream book is Jeni's splendid ice creams at home. It has become my go to book for ice cream.
Best, Sandie

Alison said...

Thank you Sandi! I will most def have to check that one out! :)

Darlene said...

This sounds delish. Love peppermint patties.

eyes2theocean said...

That looks positively yummers. I want. lolol

Unknown said...

Sweet. We've had several unseasonably warm days recently and ice cream is definitely in order.

Unknown said...

Oh that looks lovely!! Love the new blog design too!

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios