Monday, December 10, 2012

Tutorial: Christmas Bow

Monday, December 10, 2012
So like so many people this season, my schedule looks like this:

go go go...to-do to-do to-do....shopping shopping shopping...work work work...party party party...

Christmas.

Did I mention party?  I think there's something going on every weekend for the next month... maybe more.  Who knows.  Anyway, with all these parties going on (which I love btw....I mean who doesn't love a good party around Christmas?) I get asked to make a lot of cookies.

Yesterday I went to my first cookie exchange party.  And I had to bring cookies (duh).  4 dozen of them.  Well, with everything else going on this month, I don't have a ton of time to make really exquisite Christmas cookies in large batches.  And I would imagine neither do a lot of people...I mean we have to get everything done to get ready for Christmas.  There's social engagements, the shopping, the cooking, decorating.... and of course we want to spend time with our family.  So when it comes to cookies like these....I keep them old school simple.


Classic simple and festive.  Does the job.  And it's cute to boot.



Wanna see how to make one?  How bout a bow?

Made with an unexpected cutter that just about everyone has.


A butterfly.  I mean really, any butterfly works.  Think about it....all the main elements are there.

So grab your favorite (or even not so favorite butterfly) cutter.  If you never really use your butterfly cutter, here's a new use for it.

Start out by out lining your bow:


If you want to see a video on how I outline my bows I have one available here.

For this bow I went ahead and used a #2.  I was on a mission to get these done quickly and I kinda needed a #2  for all my external details on my cookies.  So I made it easy on myself and stuck to one tip size.

Next, fill your cookie with your flood icing.


If you want to see a video on consistencies I have one of those too.

Now your going to need some little extra things:


Here I have piping consistency icing in 4 different colors.  (festive yes?) And I have these cute little red pearls.  Ok well they aren't so little really.  They're fairly sizable.  AND they're CHOCOLATE!  Makes me happy.

Found them in the grocery store.  Who knew....

Anyway, Time to add your details:


Add some holly leaves.  I just made squiggles....looked like leaves....worked for me.  Then add your tassel strings.  I don't know why tassels seemed festive to me.  I don't even know if you could call them tassels   It's like....decorative something.....jingle bells???

Anywho, add your final details:



A chocolate candy in the center, the gold bells, and anything else you would like to add.  Then your done!

So not complicated at all!  Really simple and festive!  Maybe, just maybe, it will help get you through the holiday season.  I mean, if you don't give them away you can certainly eat it...and that always makes me feel better  ;)





18 comments:

Paula said...

I would have never thought to use a butterfly cutter to make a bow! Great tutorial and wonderful arrangement of cookies. Wish I was at that cookie exchange party!

Elizabeth L in Apex, NC said...

So cute! And I love this bow. I used it for some cookies two weeks ago and the recipient really liked them. Hadn't thought to use the butterfly cutter though - perfect!!

Anonymous said...

Your bows are lovely - but I am kind of obsessed with that tree with the loopy lights! It is so fun and fabulous!

Unknown said...

This could not have come at a better time ... I need a bow cutter and do not have one ... BAM ... butterfly! Thanks tons.

Anonymous said...

So Lovely !

Anonymous said...

Madre mía que galletas mas preciosas me encantannnnnnn.
saludos desde Barcelona España

Glory said...

LOVE this whole set, and the bow is just beautiful!! I didn't even notice it was a butterfly until I scrolled down!

Montreal Confections said...

I must say that is pretty great I can't even see the butterfly it's the most perfect shape.

Teri said...

All your cookies are gorgeous, but I love, love, love the cute bow!

Kris from SoCuteCookies said...

So creative using a butterfly! I have a bunch of them and don't even like to make butterflies because I can never get both sides the same... here you go and make a cute bow and i love it as a bow! Thanks for all you share with us..

Cristin's Cookies said...

These are so pretty and what a great idea to use your butterfly cutter! Very creative! Thanks for sharing! Cristin

Nancy Paine said...

Ali, I LOVE IT! Great idea, thanks so much! Nancy Paine

Unknown said...

This is BRILLIANT!!! You are so smart and creative!!

The Bearfoot Baker said...

You are so smart! This is BRILLIANT!!!

triciaz said...

Beautiful!! I've always loved your bows, and I can't tell you how many times I've watched your bow tutorial!! Thanks, Ali :)

JenniferG said...

Your bows are always so beautiful and this one is the prettiest Christmas bow ever!!!

Just Ask Laura said...

Your creativity never ceases to amaze! I appreciate your willingness to continue to share and teach.

Cata's cakes said...

Me encantan tus galletas!! Eres una fuente de inspiración para mi,y para mucha más gente! Artista!! un beso,desde Vila-real, España

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios