Monday, January 27, 2014

Quick Chocolate Covered Cherrry "Cake Balls"

Monday, January 27, 2014
Yes, yes.....I know the last time I posted it was "cake pops" but I couldn't resist...

I get out to Rogers, Arkansas about twice a month.  Sometimes I wanna shop, or return an item I ordered in the mail to a store or go to the grocery store......I'll tell you it's mostly to go to yarn stores.....and the grocery store.

All I can say is that the grocery stores around the immediate are are below my usual expectations having grown up in a large city at lest less than a mile away from a Central Market or some other equivilant.  Yes, I'm a grocery snob.  Not afraid to admit it.  To me the grocery store...like a really awesome grocery store...just the same as Disney Land to a kid.

Sometimes I also just wanna head out of Dodge and Rogers is only 45 minutes away....

Anyway, last time I was there I stopped into Fresh Market (like ya do) and went by there bakery section.   Now I love the bakery section there.  Not only are the desserts in the case gorgeous....they always have some sort of interesting seasonal doughnut holes for sale.

This month: Cherry.





I LOVE cherry.  Cherry anything (not as much as cinnamon but close).  And ya know what I love more than cherries?  Cherries covered in chocolate.  I am kinda addicted to those Queen Anne ones....if you remember.

So when I saw them it was like ooooh baby......gonna make me some chocolate covered cherry doughnut holes.  Which I affectionately call Chocolate Covered Cherry "cake balls"  because if you remember from November's post....I hate making real cake balls, I love doughnut holes, and this is faster.....it's cheat cake balls.  I'm in.



Chocolate Covered Cherry "Cake Balls"

1 package of cherry flavored cake doughnut holes (Fresh Market)
    or make your own cake balls using this recipe (I didn't do this...I'm lazy)
    OR use plain cake doughnut holes....I'm adding cherry to it anyway....

Maraschino Cherry Juice

Ghiradelli White Chocolate Melts
    or
Ghiradalli Dark Chocolate Melts
    or
Both

Wooden skewers
Heart shaped candy or confetti


Put some cherry juice in a shallow bowl.  Roll your doughnut holes in the juice for just a few seconds...just to moisten them and allow some of the juice to soak in....watch it because you don't want them getting soggy.

Let dry.

Line a baking sheet with foil.  Trust me, this will save you some cleanup.

Get a cooling rack and place it in the baking sheet.  Spray lightly with Pam (baking or butter)

Melt your chocolate melts according to the package.... then dip your doughnut holes in the chocolate.  Place them on the cooling rack to allow excess chocolate to drip away.  Place candy on top.

Um..... yeah and that's it.

I gotta tell ya.....the ones covered in dark chocolate really do remind me of chocolate covered cherries from the box.

Seriously took me less than 30 minutes to make a dozen of them... Quick Valentine's treat.

Make me happy.











5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's nice to see you post. Glad you are doing something fun in the kitchen. I hope you are feeling better. Miss you! ♥♥

Jana A. said...

They sound yummy! I've been praying for you and hope you're feeling better.

Elizabeth L in Apex, NC said...

These look yummy! (Way better than the box of chocolate covered cherries someone brought us at Christmas. What to do with those...) Glad to see your post, too; enjoy those treats!

Aida@TheCraftingFoodie said...

I hear you when it comes to cake balls. I make a lot of fiddly desserts/treats, but there's something about cake balls that drive me nuts! I also go the doughnut hole route. These look delicious, and the fact that they're easy is the cherry on top (sorry couldn't help with the cheesy pun). Thanks for sharing ;)

Lexy said...

Never even thought to try doughnut balls....when you mentioned Maraschino juice is that what you drained from a bottle of the cherries? I don't think I've ever seen the juice sold separately but maybe I just never looked for it. Thanks for the inspiration.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios