Monday, September 23, 2013

TUTORIAL: From the Vault: Fall Pumpkin Wagons

Monday, September 23, 2013
Gotta make this a quick post unfortunately  Baby John is in his fussy state today....trying to breath fire.  And my oldest refuses to clean her play room and is trying to get into my cookies....so.  I need to be efficient.

It' a really quick and easy photo tut of PUMPKIN WAGONS!!

And can you guess what cutter I used??


Maybe a few of you remember these from way back when...maybe not WAY back....but a couple years ago maybe?  I can't quite remember.  Time moves too fast.

But this still to this very day has to be my favorite fall set of mine....like ever.  I put so much love into them and took my time...I was in the groove that week.  You know how that feels...where it's like you could do triple pirouettes in your sleep....it just clicks.

Anyway....see the wagon??


You know it actually goes back even further than that fall to tell you the honest truth....goes back to the second and last (sadly) Cookie Camp.

Yes, I was there....

We had a cookie challenge.

One of the shapes was this one.


Yes....the Wilton Butterfly.  I think every cookie artist in the world probably has this cutter stashed somewhere.  It actually ends up being a butterfly I use quite often....but usually not to make butterflies.  haha!

So this is what I did....last fall....and oh so many moons ago....at the beginning of my cookie journey ...

Before I start, I just want to apologize for the sloppiness of this photo tut.  I didn't have the luxury of time I was hoping to have this weekend and so I had to decorate this quickly....with a fussy baby and a whiny 4 year old...

Ok now we can move on...

This is what you will need:

Brown piping icing armed with a #2 and also have handy a #48 (basket tip I call it)
Orange piping armed with a #1 or #1.5 and flood
Gold piping icing armed with a #1
Green piping icing armed with a #1 and also stiff piping in green...you can acquire a leaf tip or you can just snip the tip like I do....refer to this post and video if you have no idea what I'm talking about.


Start with your wheels using your #2.  I went with whimsical pumpkin patch kinda wheels this time


Then get your basket tip #48 and pipe on the sides of your cart.  This is actually a little farther apart then I would usually pipe them....but I was having trouble thinking through the fog of Sesame street and baby cries.
So try and pipe them fairly close together...but not so close they touch.  


Get your #2 back on and pipe the rest of your wagon.,,,,ya know....your sides...boards....supports??  I don't know wagon lingo sooo....


Ok then pipe and fill your pumpkins.  NORMALLY, you just have to do this at the top of the wagon...but as I said, I spaced my boards too far apart... so I filled in the space a little.  Don't worry if this part looks kinda sloppy...all our details will cover it nicely.


Again, rushed....I should have let this dry a little more before I did this step..but ya know...
Pipe on your hay.  Think about where hay would naturally poke out of an open sided wagon.  And also pipe the lines on your pumpkin and the brown pumpkin tops.


Now, finish it up with your swirly pumpkin vines and some leaves.....add any other little details you think it needs....maybe a crow or something?.....I dunno.  Improvise.

So there you go!  And again I apologize for the sloppines...but even sloppy they're pretty darn cute!  :)





21 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my freaking goodness!!! These are so awesome! Genius and so perfectly done. I marvel at your talent Ali!

Debbi said...

LOVE, LOVE, L*O*V*E this!!!
You make it look so easy. LOL!
Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

These are so adorable!

Unknown said...

All saint Day is fast approaching and this cookie recipes are great. Perfect for our celebration. Thanks for sharing.

Patri said...

Ali you're a awesome cookie artist!

Kisses from Spain!

Patricia

SandraQ (SaSyQ) said...

OMG, you are perfect!!! I love your work! congratulations for your creativity and dedication!!!

Ángeles Casaús said...

Lovely!!!

Elizabeth L in Apex, NC said...

Cutest pumpkins EVER - and in a wagon!!

Terri said...

Your art just made my cookies prettier! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Kris (SoCuteCookies) said...

Such a cute and clever idea! Thank you for sharing... I may have to make some as placecards for our family dinner.

Amy B said...

These are just adorable! I'm in love them! Thanks for sharing - I love your tutorials :)

victoria said...

Oh My Goodness - can I just rub up against that creative part of your brain for a micro-second and pray that some of it leaks into me? These are simply brilliant. Cannot even wait to try them. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Pulling out butter now - yippers.

victoria said...

Oh My Goodness - can I just rub up against that creative part of your brain for a micro-second and pray that some of it leaks into me? These are simply brilliant. Cannot even wait to try them. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Pulling out butter now - yippers.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have to try that!

Jennifer G. said...

The design fits the cookie shape so well! It wasn't until you said you used a butterfly cutter that I actually noticed the shape not being a "wagon" cutter lol!

Jennifer Greening said...

Your design fits the cookie shape so well! It wasn't until you mentioned using a butterfly cutter that I saw it wasn't a "wagon" cutter lol.

Tracy Hicks said...

Oh, my goodness! Everything that you do is just so incredible!! These designs are just wonderful and I love how you thought to use that cutter! Superb work as always!

triciaz said...

LOVE this!! Your fall set is one of my favs!!

Sherrie said...

I made the pumpkin wagon cookie for the first time a couple of weeks ago using your photo from the past posting. I have now made it two more times for family and friends. I think it is absolutely adorable. I don't add all the leaves - I like the simplicity of the wagon and pumpkins. I put 3 pumpkins with 3 different colors. Thanks for your creative idea!!

Unknown said...

OK, let's all bow down to you now. What in the world? You did these AND photographed them WHILE there was a crying baby AND a 4 year old in the same house? I couldn't even do this and all I have is a dog. A quiet dog. A 7lb dog. Who would lay quietly on the couch with no prompting.

You deserve some sort of award for this masterpiece in creativity. I'd come over and babysit just so you could nap or take a bath. That's how much I admire you.

Cookieria by Margaret said...

Love this one! XOXO!

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios