Monday, September 9, 2013

TUTORIAL: One Stroke Flowers

Monday, September 9, 2013

I made these cookies for my MIL last year.  I was feeling inventive....and my MIL is a super awesome woman and I love her.  So I wanted to do something pretty for her.  But I didn't have a lot of time.  So I had to cut a corner...my usual corner cut is to not mix colors.  I will make white cookies (because I don't have to color the icing to do that) and then airbrush....  or paint.


Now I know I have stated before that I am not the best at painting at cookies....Mostly because it's like painting with watercolors and that's just not my thing....but I still know a few painting techniques.

I remember in art class being taught this really easy way to paint two toned flowers.  It's called a one stroke technique.  Because you can apply 2 colors in one stroke and make a beautiful petal.




So I thought I would at least give it a shot with the food colors...and guess what?!

It worked...almost just the same....

And I think it looks pretty!  It's so easy to do.  You just get an angled shader (that's a brush), pick out 2 colors of Americolor gel (or Wilton if that's your thing)..... dip one side of your brush tip in one color...dip the other tip in the other...and paint your petals..


That sounds a little confusing....so I

MADE A VIDEO

There.... go watch it....I promise I didn't bump my camera all around this time...tho I can't say I'm completely organized in the video....kinda like me...all the time really....anyway....


It's super easy.  Give it a shot and let me know what ya think :)
Don't be surprised if you see some more flowers like this from me.  Like ya know...in the spring or something.  Or not....oooooooo!...You never know...I'm unpredictable like that....like a cheetah ninja.

Yeah that's right.  Think about it.




8 comments:

Miss Cuit said...

Beautiful!!! :)

Debbie said...

Those are really beautiful, Ali! Thanks for the tutorial.

Joan / My Cookie Clinic said...

These look gorgeous, Ali. Love the colors too.

SweetSugarBelle said...

Dreamy and beautiful. If I ruled the world your only task would be to make beautiful cookies all day. Oh and mate make me a meal here and there ;-). Of course you would have dishwashers and assistants at your disposal 24/7!!!

Anonymous said...

bellissimo! ^_^
Francesca

Lexy said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Also for naming the paintbrush....I know nothing about painting but I would like to try this and now I know what kind of paint brush to get....it's the little things you share that make your posts so great.

PS....HATE your comment verification....this is my 5th try.

Lexy said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Also for naming the paintbrush....I know nothing about painting but I would like to try this and now I know what kind of paint brush to get....it's the little things you share that make your posts so great.

Hate your comment verification. This is my 6th try.

Colleen said...

Those are so beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios