Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tutorial: Making Snowflakes

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

So Christmas time is over...which means a lot of places will finally be getting some snow :)

Or at least that's how it seems to be here in the midwest....so they say.

Really, I don't know.  The year before we moved here, Joplin got like 8 feet of snow or something.  People were blocked in their houses and all that.  Since we moved here....

nadda.

Let's face it....snow doesn't like me as much as I don't think I would like it.  I mean it's cold....

really cold.

Anyway, speaking of snow.....I thought I would show a quick tut on making snowflakes that are pretty and still fast and easy







Let's start at the beginning...

First you will need your cookie.  I chose a gingerbread for this example because it shows up better on camera.


I'm using a heart shape to demonstrate the basic technique.  I'll move on to a snowflake shape in a sec.

You will also need some piping consistency icing in whichever color you choose and a #3 tip.

To begin your going to make a teardrop shape with your tip.  Start by making a nice big dot.  Release the pressure from the bag, press into the icing slightly (but not all the way to the cookie) and then drag down



Then repeat on either side, meeting at the middle



This is your basic pattern.  This is really all there is to it.

Then to your snowflake...
Repeat the side pattern (teardrops meeting at the middle) till you have reached as far in as you would like to go.



Finish it with a center and any other details if you like.



For a better visual on this, check out the VIDEO here.

Once you have this down, you can combine this pattern in any way you choose to make a variety of designs.  :)


Anyway.....easy right??  And once you have the basic pattern down you can knock them out so fast it could turn back time....

Well that's that!  :)  I have 9 more weeks to go on the baby count down.  Getting big, getting slow, getting tired....

Getting excited.


8 comments:

Glory said...

So pretty! I love the elegant simplicity of these! Great video, and I loved hearing your voice =)

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!

Kris from SoCuteCookies said...

Love the pretty designs, I am doing cookies for a winter themed baby shower in a few weeks and these are great ideas! Thank you for sharing and I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes very smooth..

Miss Cuit said...

Every cookies you make are so pretty!!! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is so very pretty- especially on the gingerbread. All the best to you and your new baby!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that! I've got 3 children, youngest being 16 wks old. Seems like yesterday I was on the last 9 weeks countdown! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and try to take it easy! X

Michelle Moyes

Anne said...

Thanks for the demo - I love that look on snowflakes. Best wishes to you, the new baby and your family!

Second Hand Rose said...

These are absolutely beautiful, thanks for the great tutorial! Congratulations on the baby :-) XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios