Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Brush Embroidery Tutorial

Tuesday, August 31, 2010
* All cookie designs and images are copyright protected.  Please do not replicate without authorized permission from me.*  This tutorial is meant to be a teaching aid.  

Tutorial on brush embroidery that was previously posted on the cookie forum and KarensCookies.net!





Excuse the sloppiness etc. It isn't easy to paint with one hand and take pictures with your left hand (esp when your right handed and the button on the camera is on the right side! ) So just be forewarned that my cookie-ing is sloppy for this but I think it still got the job done.

Brush Embroidery is actually simple. I love it because it looks elegant, it's extremely forgiving, and it looks like you did a lot more work than you actually did.

You will need tools of course. A paintbrush (I use a Filbert #8), A cookie with a base cover (not necessary but I think it helps the brush stroke smoother), Icing.



I like to use a fairly thick consistency. I use a thick icing as opposed to a thin icing because I like the "paint" effect a thicker icing gives. It has texture. Like oil painting....



I like to use a #2 tip for this icing. I just pipe an uneven line to "outline" the tips of my petals.



Then I use my paintbrush to sweep the icing towards the center...



Till I have completed the ouline



Continue these steps till you reach the inner part of the flower. I like to do 2 -3 petal layers


I like to make another uneven line for the center of the flower. It would probably look just as well without it tho...I just always do for some reason...

Then put your center in. I like to use icing of lettering consistency with a #1 tip and dot it!



then outline one side of your leaf



Then brush inward and out toward the "tip" of the leaf



Then repeat on the other side. Draw a line down the middle of your leaf to mark the vein...



Then your pretty much done. You have made your brush embroidery flower. (Add dots if your dot crazy like me )



The same steps and principals can be applied to using brush embroidery to create all kinds of things...



TA DA!!

Here's a video with LIVE ACTION!!


14 comments:

Linnea said...

Oh, they are so beautiful, I have to try to do them :)

Unknown said...

how come I'm only seeing this now??!!
This is awesome.Wonderful cookies wonderful tutorial.
thank you for putting this together.
Hani

Alison said...

haha! Haniela I dunno. I've had it for a while...made it back in ...April? It's been posted several other places. I just now got around to posting it on my own blog. Go figure. :)

Unknown said...

obrigado alison eu adorei esta ideia amo voce

Anonymous said...

Hi
Could you tell me if this is royal icing. thanks so much

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the detailed tutorial! I love your painting method - it looks great!

Yaneri said...

Ohhhhhh my goodness! This is a totally classic and so new to me! My word, this is so awesome! Thank you for sharing this with us!! I'm so looking forward to seeing more tutorials!!! This is so beautiful!!

Yaneri

M said...

So beautiful and such a fantatic tutorial! Thank you for sharing Ali!

Marian (Sweetopia) said...

Ooops, I pressed enter by accident! (I hope my comment went through). Just in case it didn't, thanks Ali for a beautiful tutorial!!

Love Your Blog said...

BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL!

Creative Escapes said...

This is amazing!!! I just started playing with cookies and decorating - and this is up there on the next things I want to try. It's amazing. I can't wait to look at more of your blog!

Nana Phyllis said...

My daughter and I made these cookies and they were awesome. Great technique. I'd like to make some with white base, red flowers, black dots. We'll see how they turn out. Thanks for the directions.

Lexy said...

6-2012
Just found your blog and am spending all night looking at ALL your beautiful pictures. I wish you had the e-mail subscription.
Question - what kind of icing do you use for the background color and also for the brush outlining?
Please do more, these are stunning.

Constance said...

Hi, I am so blown away by ur tutorial...
I am still new to cookie deco... U r so inspirational!

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios